Tuesday, April 16, 2013

30 Mug Cakes in 30 Days - Spice Muffin - Day 1

I've given myself a challenge to come up with 30 different mug cakes in 30 days.  I have been in P3 for about 6 weeks now and I have been enjoying mug cakes a lot.  I eat them for breakfast, for a snack, and sometimes even for dinner.  They are quick and easy and taste like a cheat - yum.  All my recipes will be low-carb and use alternate flours.  I usually use flax meal because I like the very low carb count (like almost zero) but sometimes I use almond flour as well.  I bake all my mug cakes in the oven because I refuse to use a microwave.  If you want to microwave yours, you will have to try it out to see how long to bake.  I think most microwave recipes bake 1-2 minutes.  My only requirement for the challenge is that the recipe be low-carb, baked in a muffin cup or ramekin, and be single-serving size.  Tune in for more mug cake recipes - I hope I can do it! :)

Spice Muffin

1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 Tbs. powdered sweetener (I use xylitol)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground pumpkin pie spice
1 egg
1 Tbs. butter, melted

Most instructions for mug cakes tell you to mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then combine.  I like to use as few dishes as possible, so I just mix them all in.  I start with the dry ingredients and then add the wet at the end.  It seems to work for me.

Mix flaxseed meal, baking powder, sweetener, and spices in a small bowl.  I have a 2-cup glass measuring cup that I use to mix my mug cakes.  Use a fork to break up any lumps.  Add egg and melted butter and mix until well combined.  Fill 2-3 muffin liners and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.   A toothpick should come out clean when the muffin is done.  If you are using a ramekin or mug, be sure to butter it well so that your mug cake will come out.  I use silicone muffin cups and they slip out easily.

Glaze - Combine 1 Tbs. powdered sweetener and 1 tsp milk or water to make a thin glaze.  Drizzle over muffin top.













No comments:

Post a Comment