Friday, August 3, 2012

Low Carb Cinnamon Rolls

I have been looking for something low-carb to replace my cravings for cinnamon rolls.  They are one of my very favorite things!  I decided to try to adapt a Bisquick recipe using Carbquik and it really turned out well.


Carbquik Cinnamon Rolls

4 cups Carbquik
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
4 Tbs. Z-Sweet

1 cup Ideal Brown
1/4 cup Ideal Confectionary
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 Tbs. melted butter
3/4 cup melted butter

Icing:
1 cup Ideal Confectionary
2 Tbs. Cream
1 tsp. vanilla
Plus a little water to get the right consistency

Combine Carbquik, buttermilk and Z-Sweet in a bowl using a fork.  Mix just until combined.

Combine Ideal Brown, Ideal Confectionary, cinnamon and nuts in another bowl.  Add 2 Tbs. melted butter and stir to moisten.  Set aside.

Use Carbquik to dust your working surface and your hands.

Turn dough out onto surface and roll to 1/2" thickness.  My dough was very crumbly - so I may need to add more liquid next time?

Pour melted butter over surface and then sprinkle with the nut mixture. My butter started running off the edges, so I think next time I will sprinkle the nuts first and then try pouring on the butter.  Maybe it will be less messy?

Roll the dough starting from the long end.  Slice into 1/2" slices and place in a 9x13 pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until just golden brown.

Icing:  Combine Ideal Confectionary, cream, vanilla and water.  Drizzle over the top of the rolls.

Makes:  18 rolls
230 calories each, 29 net carbs, 20 g. fat, 5 g. protein
They are a little high in carbs, but much lower than a regular cinnamon roll.  I am wondering if next time I should use cream instead of buttermilk?  Also, myfitnesspal does not show the sugar alcohol from the Ideal - but if I knew what that was I would deduct it from carbs as well.

** I just realized I didn't add the pecans to the ones I made :(

Note:  I made these using the sweetners that I had on hand.  You could use whatever you prefer - erythritol, xylitol, stevia, etc.  Since the original recipe used brown sugar, I thought the Ideal Brown would be best for the filling, but I'm sure a white sweetener would've been good too.

Let me know if you try them!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment